Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

mama's b-day ravioli with prosciutto and mushrooms

I've decided my posts are too long-winded. So this one will be mainly photos. We made ravioli for Mom's birthday dinner. Everybody helped. Mom chopped up the prosciutto, and we fried it till it was crispy and removed it from the pan.
Dad chopped up the mushrooms, and we fried those up nice and brown, then Jenean chopped and added garlic and some fresh rosemary.
I set aside about 1/4 of fried up prosciutto for later, and chopped the rest up smaller, and put it in a big bowl with the mushrooms, garlic and rosemary.
Then I added about 2 cups of ricotta, and a cup of grated parmesean, an egg, and some salt and pepper, and some freshly grated nutmeg.
Then Dad and I took turns rolling out the pasta dough. It's so much fun with this awesome contraption.
We portioned out the filling in heaping teaspoonfuls.
Dad and I just folded the dough over, using an egg wash to stick it together, and cut it into raviolis with a knife. I think I kind of want one of those nice crimper cutter things, for next time. ALSO, next time I'm gonna roll out the dough a bit thinner - level 6 instead of 5.
I made a quick sauce in a big pan while the raviolis boiled in well-salted water by melting a lot of butter with extra virgin olive oil, some more chopped garlic, some capers, and the remaining prosciutto. Toward the end of the ravioli boiling I stole some of the pasta water to add to the sauce, maybe a cup. When the ravioli was done, I threw them into the pot with the sauce, and let them bubble together to let it thicken up a bit.
Poured it out on a platter, with some more grated parmesean. Happy Birthday Mama.



No comments:

Post a Comment