Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Oh Fiddleheads.

First, dear readers, I apologize for committing the cardinal sin of blogging, which of course, is not blogging. I've missed you. I've been busy, but I'm back now, not to worry.

Onward and upward to fiddleheads! Fiddlehead ferns are the unfurled heads of young ferns and can be found largely in the springtime. They have a bitter taste and can be used anywhere you would normally use a green leafy vegetable. I looked up a ton of recipes, but in the end, I just punted and made a simple appetizer: sauteed fiddleheads on toast. Delicious.

Every recipe I read recommended boiling the fiddleheads first, which I did. This takes some of the bitterness out of the vegetable...similar to what you might do with broccoli rabe. So, I washed the fiddleheads twice and then boiled them in salted water for about 5 minutes. I sauteed some garlic in olive oil and threw the fiddleheads in for a few minutes, just until they got a chance to get to know each other. I served them on buttered toast - sort of a very large veggie bruschetta. It was delicious! And look how cute they are!





No comments:

Post a Comment